The Royal Belgian Embassy, supported by the Embassy’s Cultural Friends, takes pride in announcing a Classical Piano Concert with Johan Schmidt
- in Abu Dhabi : on 14 December 2004, at 20:30, in the Adma-Opco Auditorium, in co-operation with the Abu Dhabi Concert Committee.
- in Dubai : on 15 December 2004, at 19:30, in the Auditorium of the Knowledge Village (behind Dubai Media City). Seating in the Auditorium will be on a first come first serve basis.
Entrance for both concerts is free of charge.
Belgian pianist Johan Schmidt has won accolades in international competitions, including Queen Elizabeth Competition (Brussels, 4th place and public prize), Tchaikowsky (Moscow, 3rd), Van Cliburn (4th), Maria Callas (1st) and Japan Competition (1st).
He played with Europe's best orchestras, including Belgian National Orchestra, Liège Philharmonic Orchestra, Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra, Ukraine Symphony Orchestra, and many others across the world.
His reputation as a soloist has taken im to such prestigious venues as Concertgebouw (Amsterdam), Salle Rachmaninov (Moscow) or Symphony Hall (Osaka).
His love of chamber music has led to regular appearances with violinist Yuzuko Horigome and the American String Quartet, among others.
He has made a number of recordings for EMI, Fontec, EMS and Musica Numeris (Cyprès).
- R. Schuman Carneval
- A. Scriabine Sonata No 5
- J. Jongen First Concert Study (Belgian Composition)
- F. Liszt Sonata F. Liszt
- Verdi Paraphrasis on Rigoletto
Cultural Friends of the Belgian Embassy:
- Jan De Nul Group of Companies
- Six Construct Ltd
- Solvay Pharmaceuticals
- UCB Pharma
- Vinçotte International Middle East LLC