Your photo taken on site
You no longer have to bring a photo to apply for a passport. Our embassies and consulates are gradually being provided with the necessary equipment, at no extra cost for you.
The photo is taken directly at the embassy or consulate so that it meets stricter international criteria than previously. To give you an idea, only 39% of photos currently brought along for use in passports meet these standards.
Children under the age of six do not have to be present in person to apply.
As of age 6, they are expected to be present in order to be photographed and to sign their passports.
Documents to submit for a passport:
1. Original current passport (If you are applying because your current passport has been lost or stolen,
you must bring along the police report you have filed declaring the loss/theft)
2. Two (2) recent passport photographs, in color with white background (ONLY APPLIES TO CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF SIX)
3. Cash payment (click here for the price)
Processing time is 1 to 2 weeks.
Important general information
- Singapore and most other Asian countries require a 6 (SIX) MONTHS VALIDITY of the passport to enter the country. In other words, you will not be allowed to board the plane or later enter the country if your passport is not valid for at least 6 (SIX) months after the date of your arrival. It is therefore important that you renew your passport in time in order to avoid any problems upon arrival or departure from Singapore.
- Belgian passports reaching the date of expiry cannot be extended and must be renewed.
- No matter what age, all Belgians must each have their own travel document.
In case of emergency (less than six months validity and/or lost or stolen passports with immediate travel required) a provisional passport can be issued, for a maximum validity of one year.
Please note that not all countries recognize the Belgian emergency passport. Some countries, including Japan and the United States, require the holder of a Belgian emergency passport to obtain a visa even if Belgian citizens are not normally subjected to the visa requirements for these countries.
Documents to submit for an emergency passport:
1. One (1) application form – in French or in Dutch
2. Two (2) recent passport photographs, in color with white background
3. Your current passport (If you are applying for an emergency passport because your current passport has been lost or stolen, you must bring along the police report you have filed declaring the loss/theft)
4. Cash payment (click here for the price)
Processing time will be dependent on the urgency.
Compensation for a defective passport
Due to a production defect in your passport, your trip could not take place as planned and as a result you believe that you have suffered damages because:
- you had to postpone your departure or cancel your trip;
- you were forced to stay abroad while waiting for a new passport;
- you had to interrupt your trip and return home.
In this case, you can submit a request for financial compensation to FPS Foreign Affairs for the damages suffered.
>> Read more