If you are Belgian born outside of Belgium after 01/01/1967, have not been registered with a town in Belgium between your 18th and 28th year and hold another citizenship besides the Belgian, you must sign a declaration of retention of Belgian citizenship before your 28th birthday in order to remain Belgian after that date (art. 22, §1, 5° CNB/WNB).
If you are in that case please check the information below depending on your place of birth:
- You were born in Alberta
- You were born in British Columbia
- You were born in Manitoba
- You were born in the Northwest Territories
- You were born in Ontario
- You were born in Saskatchewan
- You were born in Yukon
- If you were born outside of Belgium but not in Canada and currently live in the jurisdiction of the Consulate of Belgium in Toronto, please contact us directly by phone or email
In order to sign a declaration of retention at the Consulate of Belgium in Toronto, you have to be registered with us.
Please read the information carefully and don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.