A Belgian delegation came especially to Poland to participate in this ceremony consisting, amongst others, of: four former war prisoners, family members of other war prisoners, Ambassador Rudi Schellinck, representative of the Belgian Minister of Defense, Mr. Pieter De Crem, as well as representatives of the Belgian Institute for veterans and war prisoners.
The camp Stalag 1A was located around 50 kilometers South of Kaliningrad. It expanded on both parts of the Polish-Russian border.
After the German invasion, in May 1940, 225 000 Belgian soldiers and prisoners of war, were sent to the East, amongst which 23 000 to Stalag 1A. The first Belgians arriving in Stalag 1A were artillerymen from a regiment based in Liège. From the Belgian prisoners, 484 never returned home.